Outdoor Multi-Activity Instructor
We are looking for a dynamic, passionate and multi-disciplined instructor to deliver adventurous activities to a wide range of clients. This position will suit a person who enjoys working with a team and who are passionate and energetic about the outdoors and about youth development.
Outdoor Academy is a leading provider for alternative education for young people who have challenging behaviours and additional learning needs. The unique all year-round programme engages young people in small group and 1:1 work.
It will be essential for the candidate to have a high level of ability to engage with young people and relate to modern day issues whilst inspiring young people to participate in the outdoors. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are crucial, along with an ability to apply sense of humour and flexibility to adapt and deal with unexpected situations.
We are a fully mobile centre delivering educational sessions, multi-activity programmes, overnight residential and the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award. We also operate a thriving event entertainment provision supporting corporate, community and private events.
On a day to day basis, we deliver activities such as kayaking, canoeing, stand up paddle boarding, climbing, archery, mountain biking, mountain boarding, raft building, team games and wilderness activities.
- Confident in leading professional and fun outdoor activities.
- A positive outlook and ability to work as part of a team.
- Strong communication and time management skills.
- Ability to inspire and engage clients of all ages.
- Flexibility to work evenings, overnight and weekends where required.
- Awareness towards health and safety.
- Comfortable in using computer software.
- Outgoing and energetic personality.
Essential experience & qualifications:
- Experience in working with young people who require additional support.
- A proven ability to organise safe and engaging activities to groups of children and adults.
- British Canoeing Level 2 Coach
- British Canoeing 4 Star Award
- Stand Up Paddle Boarding Level 1
- Basic Expedition Leader
- Climbing Wall Award
- ArcheryGB Instructor
- Mountain Bike Instructor
- Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Supervisor
- Full UK Driving Licence (B1 + E trailers will be advantageous)
- 16 Hour Outdoor First Aid
Desirable experience & qualifications:
- British Canoeing Level 2 + Moderate White Water
- Rock Climbing Instructor / Single Pitch Award
- Summer Mountain Leader
- Mountain Bike Technical Trail Leader
- Wilderness Leader (proficient at open fires/cooking)
- Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Assessor
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and expects all staff to share this commitment.
What’s on offer?
Become part of a friendly, close knit, team and progress your career to the next level. You will have the opportunity to put forward ideas and receive support in undertaking training and qualifications.
Salary: £19,000 – £27,000 dependant on experience and current qualifications
Hours: 45 hours per week Monday-Friday, overtime available during evenings and weekends
Holiday Entitlement: 20 days per annum (to be taken during school holidays) plus bank holidays
Start Date: As soon as possible – flexible for the right candidate.
Successful candidates will join a great team based near Reading in Berkshire on a 1 year fixed contract with a view to extending to a permanent full time contract.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old
- Minimum of two references including last employment
- Proof of identity and qualifications
- A clean Enhanced DBS certificate
- A clean full UK Driving Licence
- Permanent UK National Insurance Number, UK residential address and UK bank account
- Candidates with a non-EU passport must be able to prove that they have the right to work in the UK
Please send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Friday 30th November 2018
Please call Dave or Jen on 0118 9712 769 for more information
We are always on the hunt for freelancers who have experience in the outdoors, relevant qualifications and above all, a great personality!
We rely on freelancers to assist our full-time staff team to deliver activity programmes during our busy times of the year.
If you would like to apply to be a part of our freelance team, please send us a copy of your CV detailing your qualifications and a covering letter to email@example.com or Outdoor Academy, Unit 4C Beenham Grange, Grange Lane, Beenham, Reading, Berkshire, RG7 5PP.
Outdoor Academy is committed to the safeguarding of children, therefore all staff and freelancers will be subject to an Enhanced DBS Check.