Specialist Outdoor Instructor
We are looking for a lead instructor to join our friendly team to deliver offsite 1:1 and small group outdoor activity programmes to our special education schools. This position will suit someone who has both land and water based qualifications and likes variation as no day is ever the same.
It will be essential for the candidate to have a proven track record in working with young people who require additional support and present challenging behaviours. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are crucial, along with an ability to apply a sense of humour and flexibility.
The ideal candidate will be someone who has a strong and current personal interest in the outdoors with a desire to continue professional development.
Alongside our outdoor specialist alternative education, we deliver to a wide variety of clients through multi-activity programmes, DofE expeditions, event entertainment and corporate activity days. The position will require confidence in leading these sessions.
Main Responsibilities and Duties
- To supervise, demonstrate and instruct groups and individuals in a wide variety of outdoor activities.
- Plan and prepare educational material and lead suitable activities for a variety of groups to cater for their needs, abilities and experience.
- Build exemplary youth work relationships with all young people to support additional needs and challenging behaviours.
- Ensure activities conform within current operating procedures and risk assessments whilst keeping the delivery fun, relaxed and engaging.
- Maintain an auditable system in accordance to AALS.
- Work with internal reporting systems.
- Confident in driving ability and transporting students
- Confident in leading professional and fun outdoor activities.
- A positive outlook and ability to work alone and as part of a team
- Strong communication and time management skills
- Good decision making abilities
- Flexibility to work evenings, overnight and weekends where required
- Awareness towards health and safety
- Comfortable in using computer software
- Excellent problem solving skills and creativity
- British Canoeing Paddlesport Leader (or equivalent)
- BSUPA Level 1 or British Canoeing SUP Inland Sheltered Water Coach
- Climbing Wall Instructor
- ArcheryGB Instructor
- Basic/Lowland Expedition Leader
- Full UK Driving Licence – minimum two years driving experience
- Experience in wilderness activities
- Experience in working with DofE groups
- 16 Hour Outdoor First Aid
As well as the above, the candidate should hold at least two of the following qualifications:
- British Canoeing Coach Award (or equivalent)
- BSUPA Level 2 or British Canoeing SUP Open Water/White Water/Race Coach
- Rock Climbing Instructor
- Summer Mountain Leader
- Mountain Bike Instructor
- Mountain Boarding Level 2
What’s on offer?
Become part of a friendly team and progress your career to the next level. You will have the opportunity to receive support in undertaking training and qualifications.
Salary: £21,000 – £24,000 per annum
Hours: 42.5 hours per week Monday-Friday
Holiday Entitlement: 20 days + bank holidays
Start Date: As soon as possible
Location: Reading, Berkshire, RG7 5PP
Successful candidates will join a great team based near Reading in Berkshire on a 1 year fixed term contract with a view to extending to a permanent full time contract.
- Minimum of two references including last employment
- Proof of identity and qualifications
- Permanent UK National Insurance Number, UK residential address and UK bank account
- Candidates with a non-EU passport must be able to prove that they have the right to work in the UK
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and expects all staff to share this commitment. Successful candidates will be subject to necessary background checks and enhanced DBS check.
Please send your CV and covering letter to [email protected] or call 0118 9712 769 for more information.
We are always on the hunt for freelancers who have experience in the outdoors, relevant qualifications and above all, a great personality!
We rely on freelancers to assist our full-time staff team to deliver activity programmes during our busy times of the year.
If you would like to apply to be a part of our freelance team, please send us a copy of your CV detailing your qualifications and a covering letter to [email protected] or Outdoor Academy, Unit 4C Beenham Grange, Grange Lane, Beenham, Reading, Berkshire, RG7 5PP.
Outdoor Academy is committed to the safeguarding of children, therefore all staff and freelancers will be subject to an Enhanced DBS Check.